Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 1, Monday, September 14, 2009 – 294 miles




As we prepared to hit the road, I tried to hook up the GPS unit that we fondly refer to as Gretchen. To my dismay, the car charger was broken. I thought that this is no way to start a vacation. I then thought of a work-around plan. I would use the AC charger and the DC inverter I bought to keep the computer charged in the car. Laurel had a better idea. Our pals Pat and Vic have the same model GPS, so I called and borrowed their charger. I got on line with Magellan and ordered a replacement sent to their house so all is well.
We had beautiful weather today. Our journey took us north through Rathdrum and Spirit Lake, Idaho to connect to US2 just east of Newport, WA. We travelled through Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry before heading east into Montana. We lunched in Libby and are spending the night at the camp ground in Glacier National Park. The camp ground seems to be a feeding area for deer. We saw several while walking to the registration station. One walked within 6 feet of us as we stood watching it.
Three or so years ago, I purchased a senior pass for National Parks. Sure glad I did. We get free admission to the park and 50% off on camping. We will use it at Acadia and other parks too.

No comments:

Post a Comment