Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 62, Saturday, November 14, 2009 – 227 miles




Before I start my dissertation on this day's travel, I want to make a comment about my punctuality. It turns out we sometimes don't have the time at the end of the day or in the morning before we start our activities or drive to write one. A few times, we had no Internet connection, as was the case in Eureka on Friday night (it was intermittent). Although I would prefer to write these on the same day as the events occur because my memory, such as it is, would be fresher. It sometimes doesn't happen, and I get behind, as I am today. My apologies to our followers.


Today we tooled up the Pacific coast for over 220 miles. The day started with mostly clouds and fog, but quickly changed to sun breaks. The surf was fairly high and with the bright sun shining on it made for some beautiful views.


We got to see some more Redwood trees as we passed through the Redwoods National Park.


We kept looking for a fast food restaurant to get a cup of tea, but none were to be found in these small towns. We stopped at a cafe in Port Orford, OR. I decided to get a little snack to eat, so I ordered a biscuit sandwich. That was the biggest biscuit I have ever seen and it had two sausage patties, two eggs, and two types of cheese. It was not a snack but a meal, and very good.


We made it up to our friends, Craig and Janice Beyer, by mid afternoon. We parked our trailer beside their house. We had a nice visit and a delicious dinner of grilled tuna and halibut that Craig caught. Craig will be retiring from his BLM job next January. He has a sideline excavator business that he will run full time. Janice will continue with her CNA job at the hospital. They are both in their mid 50's, so too early for SS.


Tomorrow, we will be heading north to Spanaway, WA to visit Laurel's brother Ron and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment