Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 28, Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 517 miles

Today is a day of travel as we hot-foot it towards central Kentucky where I grew up. I had a pre-planned route that would take us south east over several state and federal highways where we would hook up to I68 west, and then follow interstates to Frankfort. I asked Gretchen for the fastest way, and she sent us north to the Penn Pike, I76. I figured she knew better then me, so we followed her route. What she didn't count on was my confusion when entering the turnpike. I mistakenly started east instead of west. This added over a half hour, 34 miles, and $3.60 in tolls to the trip as we had to drive 17 miles to the first exit and then get back on to go west.
The day was mostly sunny and bright, so we got to see a lot of autumn colors, especially in the higher elevations of western Maryland as we crossed the eastern continental divide. The colors diminished as we went further south. We made it as far as 35 miles short of the KY border on I64 and pulled into a friendly Wal-Mart parking lot for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment